Thursday, August 1, 2013

Kindness goes a long long way

http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/george-saunderss-advice-to-graduates/?_r=1&

I've been busy, and that is a horrible excuse and I'm already kicking myself for not writing more often.  I'm in Houston and loving it.  I love my housemates, my dogmates, my coworkers, my patients, my gym, really most everything.  I could do without some of the traffic and having to take the rail into the hospital, but even those things have endearing qualities - little kiddos waddling onto the rail and two people in a car beside me laughing together about who knows what.  I'm trying my best to focus on the good just as I intended to do with this blog and it is truly making me happier.

The article posted above is so poignant and such a beautiful reminder to be kind, be kind, be kind to yourself and others.  I hope I never for get this important lesson, especially in the hospital where it is easy to get overwhelmed, frustrated, and even angry, but it is also a place that needs kindness the most because people are healing.  And I believe fully that kindness promotes healing in all forms and in the best ways.  I was asked for probably the 10th time in my life "Are you always happy?"  I replied yea for the most part, why not?  I'd rather be happy than not.  Funny how it is strange/confusing for a person to be happy more than they are sad or angry.  I hope I stay strong in my happiness and continue to share it as much as possible because I surely am positively impacted by others happiness so I would like to say others are positively impacted by mine.

Things to remember when I'm an OT:
LEARN SPANISH
Answer questions/predict questions that patients or family might have
ALWAYS EXPLAIN WHAT YOU'RE DOING
Make friends and remain friends with everyone, no gossip, no favorites
Laugh and have fun with your patients
Always remember the humanness of what you do - these are people going through the worst for the first time and need all the support, kindness, education, and love they can get

No comments:

Post a Comment