Thursday, January 3, 2019

But how?

I will never consciously know what it is like to not breathe and I hope it is never that I would know what it is to not be able to walk or rely on my body as it works now.  But what a question to ask, but how do I breathe and how do I walk?

My demented 87 year old patient this morning could not stop asking this question.  How am I breathing?  I didn't turn anything on or take any medication so how am I breathing?  And despite any reassurance regarding the miracle of our body that breathes despite thought or medicine or an on button, this man could not wrap his head around it.  And quite frankly when I stop to think about it neither can I.  What a gift?  An undeserving consistent and selfless gift it is to simply breathe without thought or effort.  It was heartbreaking to watch this man wrestle with this question and realize he will not come to a resolution or answer because there is not one of us who could truly explain in plain terms how or why we are breathing everyday, no effort, no button, no qualification.   And on the flip side, most often it is equally difficult to understand why or how one stops breathing when he/she does.

I am grateful for my patient reminding me the gift of breath of movement of awareness.  I overlook too often the bare bones (literally) of my body that carries me day in and out.  I am so thankful and hope it continues to carry me as long as it feels willing and able.

No comments:

Post a Comment