Thursday, January 9, 2014

Small town

Though it's much easier for me to think of and share all the not-so-positive things that come with being from a small town, I was reminded today of some positives.  I went to the dentist...this makes it sound as if I traveled even the slightest distance, but no I could have easily walked in less than 15 minutes down to the grand Norris City center.  Dr. Startup (who was also one of my AYSO soccer coaches and family friends) has an office right next to Archer's the town's grocery (also where I worked for several high school summers), Hensley's Happenings the local eatery/store and then at the far end the post office.  Across the street is the only bank, only gas station, volunteer police and fire department, library, and somehow a small outpatient physical therapy clinic that has lasted longer than any of the pizzeria, sub shops or ice cream parlors that have attempted to take residence in that building in the past.  Behind Dr. Startup's is Norris Middle School and less than half a mile away is Norris Elementary, both of which I attended.  First plus of small town...few choices, but easily employed and easily traversed.  As I walk into the office for an appointment that was my mother's, but the receptionist, Donna, chuckled when I called to take her spot saying, "Oh I guess you're home for the holidays!", Donna bursts out "Look at your beautiful hair, you sure have grown up!"  Second plus...easy compliments for simply showing up.  Apparently there had been a water pipe that froze and busted at Hensley's Happenings and Dr. Startup (Dan) was on the phone with the owner.  They had no running water, but proceeded to see me anyway and Dan ensured there was contained water and just enough to at least complete my suctioning.  So, with my teeth cleaned and a kind reminder from Dan to floss, I headed to make my mom a new appointment and pay.  Donna doesn't even ask for a credit card assuming she will just bill it to my parents and immediately starts talking to me about moving home.  Her story, "I remember 6 months after I got married and my husbands job transferred to Charlottesville, NC.  We moved out there and it was fun what with all the fancy schmancy restaurants and living in the big city, but as soon as we could we were back in East Tennessee.  And I remember Kate Rowlind moving off to Chicago after school.  Schew that was her dream to go to the big city.  That was so exciting, but she came home.  So, that's what you do, follow your dream first and then come back home."  And then she made an appointment for mom, not until May!  But clarified if anything opened up she'd call her.
I guess in the end it's hard to quantify the benefits to living in a small town.  All I know is I love being from somewhere that most places I go people are happy to see me, genuinely wondering how I'm doing, and truthfully wanting me to come home.  And how many people can say that living in a big city?

No comments:

Post a Comment