I just had the best 9 days and I'm about to fly off for another wonderful 9 days! It's break between spring and summer classes an somehow I have gotten lucky once again. My break started with four amazing days with Nanna. What a special time, I have never ever spent one-on-one time with any grandparent. Kind of sad, but that's what happens when you live far apart and have a huge awesome family. So my first time really hanging out with my grandmother and I was so inspired and proud. Nanna is absolutely amazing. She is so talented and smart and wise and shares to graciously all her knowledge. She has the kindest heart and is the hardest worker I know. She helped me paint an awesome picture, we worked out in the yard, we fixed curtains, ate at Happy Chinese Restaurant and I painted her toenails. I'm so grateful that I got to spend time with my wonderful grandmother and now I know I will make time this summer to do that again!
Next I met Karen in Nashville for some Thriftsmart action...amazing store and Friday is 50% off for students so I got 4 skirts, each for only two doll hairs!!! Then getting home I was properly greeted by the best little pup! I got to be caretaker for the afternoon with one of my many second moms who had part of her intestine removed. It was amazing to me that I was totally fine in the hospital, needles and tubes coming out of every hole and even watching bile being sucked out of Loy's nose didn't make me faint! I have come a long long way and I'm so glad that I could help out, she has been so good to me. Dad and I worked our little butts off in the yard, and it was really quite fun, then mom was home for steak and potato supper (my favorite!). Mom and I went on a hike and Nell forgot how to swim, silly dog. Man I'm from the most beautiful area!! Then I got to spend time with my big sister we learned "Everything is Made for Love" on the ukulele and talked and talked. Her apartment is awesome, she always has the best apartments! I think it's just her! Then all four of us got to have lunch together at the Plaid Apron, yum yum yum. Then off to my best friend's graduation! So proud of Ms. Kelly and it was so good to see most of her family! The speaker, Joe Johnson (former UT president) was awesome. Basically it talked about all the important things that are so easy to forget: thank yous, I am sorrys, hanging on to good friends, having a sense of humor etc. Then before I left to head back to the Lou I got to hang out with Janet.
Janet has to be the most graceful person I know. Even with hospice in the home and barely moving or thinking straight, she calmly and beautifully lies in a chair rarely opening her eyes. We sang together, Jesus Loves Me, Tis' A Gift to be Simple, and Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow. She told me she had always loved my like her own daughter, and it's so true. She has always treated me like one and I hope that I am half as good to her and others as she is to me. It was one of the most humbling experiences, being with someone who is dying. It puts life back into perspective and reminded me that we all will be in her chair, maybe not as gracefully, but we will be there. Love as much as possible, be kind as often as you can, death is something we all will face hopefully later and as gracefully as Janet.
So tomorrow, off to Seattle and Portland with the Rices. Life is good
No comments:
Post a Comment