Wednesday, October 2, 2019

World Burn Congress 2019 Day 1

Wow wow wow.  I'm  in Anaheim, CA with Katherine (SW with trauma services) and Heather a burn survivor and friend.  It's amazing and I've had to hold back tears multiple times already.  There are almost 1000 burn survivors, health care providers and fire fighters all together to build community, network, and support one another.  I've gotten so many hugs and met the kindest people already and it was just from a couple hours tonight.  Heather is taking it all in but is fighting back tears pretty consistently.  I think it is good but I also know it is so hard.  I wish there was something I could do to ease the realization of the fact that she is a survivor and some do not survive and some who survive have way worse injuries.  It's a lot but I feel so honored to be walking along side her literally while she processes.  I just feel overwhelmed with gratitude that I found this community, get to serve this population and have the opportunity to make a positive difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment