Another Pearl Harbor Day has come and nearly gone. Not intending in any way to diminish that or it's historical importance but 10 years ago, December 7th became something else to our family. Dad passed away on this day leaving a huge hole for all of us that leaned on him so much. While I have always been so proud of all he did for us and the example he set, the one thing that has always boggled my mind is how, despite how busy he was in what seemed like 25 hour days delivering babies and tending to his patients, we never felt like we didn't see him or that we had to compete for his time and attention. Some how, he managed his practice and all the while never leaving any of us feeling "short changed." I give large amounts of credit to mother also and how solid she was/is. She had a lot to do with him being able to do this. Even 10 years later, I still feel like they both, for the most part, keep me pointed in the right direction. ~ Joseph Bond Williams
It's hard to ever put into words how special grandaddy was and still is. Joe did a great job touching on it, because with someone as special as him, that's really all you can do. I'll try to do the same.
I honestly have never remembered the specific day he died or even how long ago it has been. Hard to believe it's been ten years. I guess I can say that I remember so so so many things of him being alive and the second he was gone, like Joe said, there has been a hole. Not a hole that I'm trying to have refilled in any way shape or form (that could never be), but a hole that will now be full of memories, love, and gratitude for my amazing grandfather. I think some of the things I remember most often are his little sayings: "Hey Miss America!" (said to all the female grandchildren with the same gusto and sincerity) and "See you round like a doughnut!" (said when we would leave after a week at Nanna and Grandaddy's for Christmas). I also remember his tickling. Man oh man that was intense (he had the hardest strongest hands I've ever felt), but you would laugh and let him continue because you could see the joy in his face that came from making all the kids laugh. I remember him letting me, Ben and Sam go sailing right before a storm at the lake and him staying down on the dock making sure we were safe, but also letting us have a great time. I can still picture him posing by a pole on the dock before he jumped in the water, acting like he was nervous poking fun at us because the kids didn't want to get in the water out of fear it would be cold. Of course I remember him working on EVERYTHING, ALL THE TIME. His hands were always busy regardless of something being broken, not working well enough, or creating a bowl, box, dresser, grandaddy was a doer in the very best way. I remember his stomach was like a rock, never felt anything like that either until now. All his wonderful sons, including my awesome dad, are starting to have similar tummies. Not sure how they come to be, but I absolutely love it! And then just like Joe said, I remember grandaddy leaving. leaving on Christmas Eve or Day for various doctor duties. Well honestly they probably weren't as much duties as they were Grandaddy going above and beyond caring for all of his patients all of the time. Sometimes he would come home after supper and sit and eat by himself, always followed by a bowl of Neapolitan ice crease of course. I don't think I ever saw less than a gallon of ice cream in that freezer. I remember going anywhere in Milan with grandaddy (I loved doing that! and still do with Nanna) and having numerous people stop and say "Did you know your grandfather delivered me (or my son or my mom or substitute any noun)." And grandaddy would always be so proud to introduce us as his grandchildren. I can honestly say that one of my biggest motivators (in no blatant or forced way) to do well in school and be kind was so grandaddy would never be disappointed. It felt too good to have him be proud. Overall, I remember his love. His love for his family for sure, but also his love for every person and every animal. Grandaddy would pet a dog like no other. There was no softly touching the outer fur or little pats, grandaddy gave them a pet of their lifetime. He would go in for behind the ears first and then proceed to rub their whole back down regardless of how dirty, old, or smelly the dog was.
I couldn't be more grateful for someone who not only made me a better person, and still does, but also someone who helped make and raise my father. Dad is my epitome of all that is good and right in the world. He's my Earthly moral compass and constant unspoken encourager. I can feel dad's love in a way that is completely different from anyone else in my life, mostly silently, but strong and endless.
So, it's been ten whole years without sweet grandaddy, but what has made it tolerable without him is that he created such a beautiful and wonderful life and love for everyone he left behind. I'm forever grateful for him and can't wait to be with his and my and his family soon for all of our favorite holiday, Christmas at Grandaddy and Nanna's.
No comments:
Post a Comment