Friday, February 28, 2014

Elizabeth McGregor Williams, OTR/L

What the heck!!!???  I did it, I am officially a registered and licensed OT in Austin, TX.  It's unbelievable!  I remember going to Collin Douglas' wedding in Chicago with Ruth Simmons my junior year of college and learning about OT.  I remember choosing to take the prerequisites "just in case" I decided to apply.  I remember shadowing and loving anatomy and physiology.  I remember being blown away by working with a cadaver.  I remember studying for the GRE and doing well enough to apply for OT school.  I'll never forget finding out that I had been accepted to Washington University (the best OT school in the nation)!  I remember moving to St. Louis and living by myself.  Meeting all my wonderful OT friends and crying with joy after the first lecture because I knew I was in the right place.  I remember growing and learning and growing and learning for 2 years.  I remember building the most amazing relationships both friendly and professionally.  I remember receiving the biggest honor, being elected by my class to speak at graduation.  I remember leaving St. Louis, one of the hardest goodbyes.  I remember moving to Houston and making amazing relationships there.  Realizing that I could and loved working with burns and continuing to grow as a practitioner.  I remember moving back to Austin and working at Brackenridge, and finding my own way there.  I remember studying my patootie off for the NBCOT exam.  And finally, I will never forget yesterday morning waking up and seeing "PASSED"!!!!!!

I did it.  I wanted to do it and I did it.  Not without boatloads of help and support, but I did it and I couldn't be more grateful.  This is a success and a career I'll have for the rest of my life.  I am going to do so many things through OT and I'm so excited to see where it takes me and the lives that it will intertwine with mine.

So it begins at Cole Pediatric Therapy in San Marcos, TX.  Thank you thank you thank you to everyone and everything that known or unknown got me to where I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment