Yesterday was my last day at Memorial Hermann. Such a bitter sweet day full of brand new scissors from Kim, the kindest words from co-workers, talking with the manager about future job opportunities, warm Kolaches for breakfast, little treats from patients, and happy hour with the regulars after work. I can honestly say that I did not have one day that I left this hospital feeling angry or defeated. Some days yes, I left with heavy boots and/or a heavy heart, but those day only served to teach me, and that is what I love about OT. I was happy here, I felt competent, I felt a part of the team, and I can only pray that I will find a job that gives me these things. I have unending respect and admiration for my co-workers who are dedicated to serving their patients in the best way that they can and at the same time enjoy what they do.
On Thursday Ryan and Katie came over and when I got home everyone was dressed in all black, in mourning that I am leaving (made me want to cry). We ordered in sushi and made spring rolls and then they gave me the sweetest things. Ryan and Katie: a Houston Texans shirt, friendship bracelet kit, and Ryan Gosling journal; Michael and Ashleigh: a torn up rent check. Quite possibly the best gift I could get at this time. And with the sweetest card wishing me the best in Austin. I have made life long friends and could be more thankful for this because that's exactly what makes life good to me, people, good people, who will stay around forever.
So I'm leaving in the morning, to move in with Carly of whom I've only met via Skype. I'm starting yet another adventure, but this time on my own. On my own and for myself. It's scary, but exciting and I have no doubt it will be chalk full of things, people, and moments to be thankful for.
No comments:
Post a Comment